There are many free video editing tools available that provide great functionality. These tools are easily downloadable and there are a wide array of options present within each software package. Whether your needs are for basic video editing or more professional editing, the tools listed below offer an editing solution that has no cost while providing a package that can be used for a wide variety of video editing situations.
- Lightworks – Lightworks’ claim to fame is that it can do so much more than your basic video editing software. It’s been used in movies such as The King’s Speech and Road to Perdition. This is undoubtedly professional video editing software which will take time to master. Its functionality is far more capable then the average user will require and it’s free.
- VideoPad Video Editor – This software is simple to use, even if you are new to video editing. However it does not have the same amount of features as Lightworks. Because of its limited features, it may be best suited for someone new to video editing who only intends to do basic changes. If you have some experience in video editing and plan to do some professional work, this may not be the solution for you.
- Avidemux – This software is ideal for smaller tasks. It comprises a set of tools for everyday video editing such as, trimming footage, applying filters and effects, and converting between formats. Yet another basic platform available for free.
- Wondershare Filmora – An easy-to-use video editing tool for your Windows operating systems. It supports various video formats such as MP4, AVI, MOV, etc. You can crop, trim, cut and combine videos as you need to. It’s a great platform for the average video editing user who intends to do standard edits on their videos.
- VirtualDub – Powerful free video editing software for Windows. It allows you a wide set of editing options, including addition of audio, video splitting and compression. It also has batch-processing capabilities if you are someone who works with a large amount of files.
If you are looking for a free video editing software, there are tons of different options available. Try several and see which one is easiest for you to use. As your editing skills develop, you can look for different free software packages that offer more capabilities or end up buying something that meets your needs. Ultimately, most beginner and intermediate video editors should be able to find free software that can perform everything they need it to. Once you are editing at a higher level, you may have trouble finding an open source package that satisfies you, but with options like Lightworks available, it seems plausible to think that a free option may still be possible.
Whether you are posting on YouTube, or doing professional video editing, open source video editing options deserve some attention. With free options available that have been used to edit major motion pictures, it becomes hard to justify the cost associated with some software that charges upfront or monthly fees. In the end it will come down to the user, and how advanced they intend to go with their software editing requirements.